Q & As
Video & DVD Reviews
Shop for Body & Soul
Want your site here?
Click to find out how!
There's loads of great stuff out there to enhance your physical and spiritual health. Every two
weeks, All Spirit Fitness brings you something we've found useful. Sometimes it's a brand new fitness
tool, sometimes it's an everyday item that you can find at the store. Whatever it is, rest assured that
if it's on this page, we think it's great!
As we head into the hottest part of summer, it becomes more crucial - and more challenging -
to stay cool. But it's not impossible - we have some suggestions on ways to keep from getting overheated:
- Drink lots of water! We can't emphasize this enough. Avoid
drinking caffeinated beverages - they can actually dehydrate you.
- Stuck in a room with no air conditioning? Try a
desktop air conditioner. We happened on
one of these at our local drugstore and fell in love with it! It's low-tech (it gets its cooling from
a frozen water bottle) and it's cheap enough to buy two. They're really handy for staying cool in small,
hot spaces - better than just a fan.
- Go running through the sprinklers. It doesn't matter how old you are - loosen up and have some fun.
If it makes you feel better, borrow a couple of kids (if you don't have any of your own) and do it with them.
- So you wimped out on the sprinklers - take a cool shower instead. Multiple showers on hot days are
always nice (and they keep you fresh!).
- Wear as little as possible. The clothes you do wear should be lightweight and light colored. If
you're going out of doors, put sunscreen on all exposed areas - remember to put some on your feet, the
back of your neck and other places that are often forgotten.
- Eat salads. Seriously - in the heat, chilled greens are better than protein.
- If you have chores that require heat (cooking, washing clothes), do them first thing in the morning
or last thing at night.
- Try exercising at dawn - it's the coolest time of the day. Avoid overexerting yourself during peak
- Pull the drapes closed - cover up that hot, afternoon sun!
- If you have the air conditioner running, remember to close the doors and windows. This saves you
money along with keeping you cooler.
Hopefully, your suffering consists mainly of an overload of sweat and no more. But remember, heat
exhaustion and heatstroke are very serious conditions. Be prepared in case you or someone you know is suffering from either condition!
More Great Stuff
The Latest Articles from All Spirit Fitness: